- Surnames starting with the letter R. 

Harry Royle

Ship/Rgn/Sqn No:02nd Bn
Name of Rgt or Ship:Cheshire Rgt
How Died:Died of Wounds
Country of burial:FranceGrave Photo:Yes
Cemetery or Memorial:Le Treport Cemetery
Town Memorial:Sale
Extra Information:
Born during the December quarter 1893 in the Altrincham R.D. - ref: 8a/163,
the son of George & Hannah Royle (nee Walton).

1901 Census - Chapel Lane, Ashton upon Mersey.   Son - aged: 7 - born:
Ashton upon Mersey.   Head of household - Mary Royle - Widow - aged: 46 -
occ: Washer Woman - born: Middleton, Manchester.   Plus 2 elder siblings.  
Joseph 1886 & Elizabeth 1892

1911 Census - 12 Field Road, Ashton upon Mersey.   Son - aged: 17 - occ:
Farm Labourer - born: Sale.   Head of household - George Royle - Married -
aged: 59 - occ: Farm Labourer - born: Carrington.   Also - Hannah Royle -
Wife - aged: 56 - born: Carrington.  Plus1 Lodger and 1 farm hand.

His mother - Hannah Royle died during the March quarter 1914, aged: 59 and
his - George Royle died during the December quarter 1914, aged: 63 .
WO 363 - Enlisted at Hyde on the 29th May 1913.  He was then aged: 18
years, 1 month, born at Sale and employed as a Farm Labourer.   Posted into
the 1st Battalion on the 14th October 1913.   Posted into the 3rd Battalion
on the 19th November 1914.   Posted into the 2nd Battalion on the 3rd
Janauary 1915, then to the 3rd Battalion on the 17th January and back again
to the 2nd Battalion on the 9th February 1915.    He was 5 feet 10 1/4
inches in height, had a pale complexion, greyn eyes and light brown hair. 
He weighed 133 lb, his chest measurement was 34 1/2 inches fully expanded
with a 3 inch range of expansion.  His religion was C. of E.   Previously
employed for 2 years as a Farm Labourer by Frank T. Dawson, Ashton upon
Mersey, who gave him a good reference dated the 28th May 1913.   He later
worked in the coal trade.   His officer stated that he was "Rather slow but
shows signs of improvement".

Stationed at Chester from the 31st May 1913 until the 13th October 1913
when he was posted to Londonderry, Ireland.

He seems to have been involved in a large number of minor offences as
follows:-  Whilst serving at Londonderry, Ireland on the 29th November
1913,   he was charged with several cases of drunkeness.   On the 16th
December 1913 he was charged with smoking a cigarette "on the march",
contrary to orders - given 3 days C.B. (Confined to Barracks).   Still at
Londonderry, on the 3rd January 1914 he was charged with overstaying his
furlough from Tattoo until 1.20 pm on the 6th. (63 hrs, 20 minutes) - given
3 days C.B.  On the 11th January 1914 he was charged with having a dirty
helmet on parade - given 2 days, C.B.   On the 12th January he was charged
with using improper language in the Barrack Room - given 3 days C.B.    On
the 20th April 1914 he was charged with being absent from parade at 2.0 pm
- given 3 days C.B.   On the 30th January 1914 he was charged with having a
dirty shelf at Company Officer's Inspection and for quitting barracks
whilst under open arrest - given 7 days C.B.    On the 13th July 1914 he
was charged with sleeping in a cell when on guard duty - given 2 extra
guard duties.  On the 3rd August 1914 he was charged with having a dirty
rifle on parade at 11.0 am - given 3 days C.B.

His brother - William Royle was listed as his next of kin.  William resided
at No.4 St. Leonard's Terrace, Church Lane, Ashton upon Mersey.  Two other
brothers were listed - Sam Royle, Moss Cottage, Harboro Road, Ashton upon
Mersey and Joseph Royle, 44 Marsland Road, Sale.  Two married sisters were
recorded - Sarah Howard, 12 Herbert St, Stretford and Hannah Walton, 2
Birch Terrace, Marsland Road, Sale.

Posted to France on the 9th February 1915.   His medical record is badly
damaged, but he was admitted to  No. ??? F.A. (Field Ambulance) on the 17th
April.  Admitted to No.84 F.A. on the 3rd May 1915, suffering from a G.S.W.
(Gun Shot Wound) to his head.  He was send back down the line to No.2
Canadian General Hospital, Rouen for treatment on the 5th May 1915.  
Wounded again on the 30th July 1915 and admitted to No.85 F.A. suffering
from another G.S.W. to his head.  Sent back to No.2 Canadian General
Hospital, Rouen on the 1st August 1915 and died of his wounds, four days

Died in hospital from gunshot wounds received on the 3rd August 1915.

Originally served in the 1st Cheshire Rgt, and involved in the battle of
Mons.  Being one of the few 1st Bn Cheshire's to survive that battle, he
was transferred to the 2nd Bn.

He became ill from drinking poisoned water and was invalided back to the UK
and into Whitworth St Hospital, Manchester.

He returned to the front and was then wounded by shrapnell.    He recovered
from those wounds only to be shot by a sniper.

Death reported in the 10/08/1915 edition of the Altrincham Guardian.

Listed in the Guardian Year Book - Roll of Honour for 1916.

Memorials found on:
St. Martin's (Ashton on Mersey)St. Martin's Window (Ashton on Mersey)
Similar Names