Stretford WW1 

Reginald George Cudmore

Rank:Air Mechanic 1st ClassNumber:411
Ship/Rgn/Sqn No:No.2 Sqn
Name of Rgt or Ship:Royal Flying Corps
Died:15th May 1914Age:21
How Died:Accidental
Country of burial:U.K.
Cemetery or Memorial:Stretford Cemetery
Town Memorial:Not Listed
Extra Information:
Born as - Reginald  George Simmons on the 19th August 1892, the birth being
registered during the September quarter 1892 in the Marylebone R.D. 1a/579,
the son of Caroline Simmons.     Baptised at St. Mark's P.C., Marylebone
Road, Westminster on the 25th August 1892.    Mother listed as Caroline
Simmons, one of many single ladies having their children baptised there.

His step-father father - Frederick William Cudmore enlisted into the Royal
Army Medical Corps (12 years) at Hounslow on the 24th February 1890 and by
1891, he was a "Sick Attendant" at the Royal Military Hospital, Haslar,
Gosport, Hampshire - aged: 19.  He married Caroline Simmons at St.
Michael's P.C., St. Pancras, London, on the 28th March 1898 and served in 
South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War 1899 - 1902, being involved in the
Relief of Ladysmith.   Appointed Sgt. Major in 1912.

1901 Census - St. George's Buildings, 5 Sun Street, Portsmouth, Hampshire. 
  Son - Listed as Reginald Cudmore - aged: 8 - born: Marylebone, Middlesex.
  Head of household - Caroline Cudmore - Wife - aged: 31 - born: Kilburn,
Middlesex.    His step-father was then away serving in South Africa.

1911 Census - 36 Hawley Road, St. Pancras, Middlesex.   Boarder - aged: 18
- occ: Fitter & Turner's Improver. (Listed as Reginald George Cudmore).

By 1911, Reginald George's parents were at their home at 14 Nelson Terrace,
Old Trafford.   Head of household - Frederick William Cudmore - Married -
aged: 38 - occ: Staff Sergeant Instructor to the Pensionare as Forces (sic)
- born: Richmond, Surrey.   Also - Caroline Cudmore - Wife - aged: 39 -
born: Kilburn, London.   Plus 2 boarders - a widow and son.

Reginald George Cudmore enlisted at Highgate into the Royal Flying Corps on
the 2nd October 1912.   His occupation given as Iron Turner.

No 2 Sqn were moving from Montrose, Scotland down to Salisbury Plain in
five separate journey sections.   Flying in a BE2 Biplane 331, they were
that day flying from Seaton Carew on the north east coast down to York. 
The aircraft was piloted by Lt. John Empsom, with Reginald acting as his
observer.  Close to Great Smeaton, they ran into thick fog and were forced
to land, unfortunately the aircraft hit a thick field boundary hedge and
somersaulted over it landing on its roof, crushing both the Pilot and
Reginald, killing them both instantly.

With full ceremony, Reginald's body was taken on a gun carriage to
Northallerton railway station, to be put onto the 06.53 hrs train down to
Manchester, arriving at 12.00 noon.   From there it was taken to his
parent's home at 14 Nelson Terrace, (a little cul-de-sac) off Augustus
Street,  Hulme.

On the day of the funeral, his body was conveyed , again on a gun carriage
provided by the Royal Artillery, Manchester to St. Mary's P.C. Hulme. 
Following the service at St. Mary's his body was taken to Longford Park,
Stretford ready for the final journey to Stretford Cemetery.  At Longford
Park the cortege was joined by the 6 pall bearers from No. 3 Sqn R.F.C., a
firing party with arms reversed sent down from the Manchester Rgt HQ at
Ashton under Lyne, a strong detachment of R.F.C. airmen from Montrose, a
contingent from the R.A.M.C. and the band.

His sweetheart was Gertrude Clara Bright, the 21 year old daughter of
Albert & Elizabeth Hannah Bright.   She was a music teacher (at home) and,
coincidentally born at Netley, Hampshire.   Her father was an Army
Pensioner and the Caretaker of the Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial),
on Upper Chorlton Road, corner with Ayres Road, Old Trafford.   Gertrude
had placed a wreath in the form of a cross onto Reginald's coffin and
walked behind the coffin with his parents.

The gun carriage stopped at the Cemetery gates and the pall bearers carried
Reginald's coffin to his grave.   The Last Post was sounded and the firing
party fired three volleys.

Tens of thousands turned out and lined the streets to the Cemetery. 

Memorials found on:
Similar Names