Stretford WW1 

Stanley Shawcross

Ship/Rgn/Sqn No:12th Bn
Name of Rgt or Ship:Manchester Rgt
How Died:Killed in Action
Country of burial:FranceGrave Photo:Yes
Cemetery or Memorial:Cerisy-Gailly Cemetery
Town Memorial:Not Listed
Extra Information:
Born during the March quarter 1895 in the Barton upon Irwelll R.D. - ref:
8c/712, the eldest son of Daniel & Miriam Shawcross (nee Rowson).

1901 Census - 52 Whitfield Street, Cadishead.     Son - aged: 6 - born:
Boothstown, Lancashire.    Head of household - Daniel Shawcross - Married -
aged: 31 - occ: Coal Trimmer - born: Boothstown, Lancashire.    Also -
Miriam Shawcross - Wife - aged: 27 - born: Astley, Lancashire.    Plus 3
younger siblings.

1911 Census - 8 Hayes Road, Cadishead.    Son - aged: 16 - occ: General
Labourer - born: Boothstown, Lancashire.    Head of household - Daniel
Shawcross - Married - aged: 40 - occ: Coal Trimmer - born: Boothstown,
Lancashire.    Also - Miriam Shawcross - Wife - aged: 36 - born:
Boothstown, Lancashire.    Plus 6 younger siblings.

I am most grateful to Neil Drum & Pete Thomas for allowing me to use
verbatim the following extract from their superb 623 page book "A District
at War - Irlam & Cadishead's Part in the Great War", an incredibly detailed
and comprehensive book that is not only a credit to them, but a magnificent
memorial to the WW1 men of that district.

Served with the 12th (Service) Battalion, The Manchester Regiment, 52nd
Brigade, 17th (Northern) Division.

He was born in Worsley and his parents, Daniel and Miriam Shawcross, later
moved to 8 Hayes Road, Cadishead.   At the outbreak of the war his father
was employed as a coal trimmer at the Partington coaling basin, and Stanley
worked as a locomotive cleaner for the Manchester Ship Canal Company.

Stanley enlisted at Manchester on 9th November 1914 and was posted to the
12th Manchesters.   The battalion sailed on 15th July 1915 from Folkestone
to Boulogne, arriving at 2am next day. He joined the battalion two weeks
later as part of a reinforcement draft on 28th July.   He served on the
Ypres Salient until January 1916 and in March of the same year the
battalion was serving in trenches near Armentieres.  A month later Stanley
was wounded whilst in this area and from his hospital, he gave an account
of his injury in a letter home:-

"It was lucky I was not done for altogether, as one shell burst right
against me and lifted me clean off the ground and banged me against a wall.
 We were doing 8 days in reserve in a cotton mill and all at once the enemy
began to shell us. There were about 6 of us together at the time and one
chap had his thumb blown off and another got wounded in three places. I
don't know what became of the others as it was a high explosive shell.  At
any rate, I was glad to get out of it for I was covered with wood and
bricks.   I got hit just under the shoulder blade and I think there is
still a piece in yet."

During his service he was wounded twice and gassed once.   In July 1916 his
battalion moved into the Somme region to take part in the great offensive. 
 On 1st August 1916 the battalion relieved the 16th Yorkshires who were in
trenches in the area of Longueval - Bazentin-Le-Petite. The 12th Battalion
history records the following:  "Orders were received on 3rd August for the
battalion to attack the enemy line at "Orchard Trench" in conjunction with
the 9th Northumberland's. Shortly, before the battalion left the trenches
to launch the attack, the enemy set up a barrage, which seriously
interfered with the preparations.  The order of battle was for 'A' and 'C'
Companies to attack, 'D' in support and 'B' Company to be in reserve.  The
battalion bombers to lead the attack.  The attack was launched at 12.50 am
but failed to reach its objective. The battalion was relieved in the
afternoon by 10th Lancashire Fusiliers and moved into Brigade reserve in
Montauban Alley".    Two officers and 169 other ranks were killed, wounded
or missing during the attack.   At first Stanley was reported missing and
his parents originally hoped he had been taken prisoner.    It was later
confirmed that he had been killed in action on Thursday, 4th August 1916 at
the age of 23.   Medal Entitlement: 15 Star Trio.   His father died on the
1st May 1922 aged 52, and mother on the 9th November 1944, aged 71.

M.I. - "Remembrance".

Memorials found on:
Manchester Ship Canal
Similar Names