Altrincham WW1 - Surnames starting with the letter W. 

Anthony Reginald Welsh

Ship/Rgn/Sqn No:04th Bn
Name of Rgt or Ship:Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Rgt)
How Died:Died of Gas
Country of burial:FranceGrave Photo:Yes
Cemetery or Memorial:Boulogne Eastern Cemetery
Town Memorial:Not Listed
Extra Information:
Born at Altrincham on the 27th December 1883, his birth registered during
the March quarter 1884 in the Altrincham R.D. - ref: 8a/182, the son of
William & Florence Elvira Welsh (nee Smith).

1891 Census - London Road, Knutsford Inferior, Knutsford.    Grandson -
aged: 7 - born: Bowdon.   Head of household - Catherine Welsh - Widow -
aged: 69 - occ: Living on own means - born: Leeds.   Also - Florence E.
Welsh - Daughter in Law Anthony's mother) - aged: 34 - born: Hove, Sussex. 
Plus 3 domestic servants.

His father - William Welsh was then residing with his brother at The
Vicarage, The Square, Harewood.Yorkshire.  Aged; 39 - Married - occ: Living
on own Means - born: Manchester.

1901 Census - Rugby School.    Student - aged: 17 - born: Bowdon.   His
parents were then residing with his mother's brother at Bifrons, Upper
Street, Fleet, Hampshire.   His father - William Welsh was aged 49 - occ:
Retired Fustian Merchant - born: Rusholme, Manchester.

Educated at Rugby School and in 1902, entered Trinity College, Cambridge

Employed by Mather & Platt Ltd. Manchester and worked for them in India and

1911 Census - No Trace - perhaps still working overseas?

In 1911, he was appointed Company Secretary to Bell Brothers, Ironmasters,

WO374/73090 - Applied for a Commission on the 1st September 1914.  He was 6
feet 0 1/2 inch in height.  Attended Rugby School and Trinity College,
Cambridge.  He was employed as Secretary to Bell Brothers  Ltd,
Middlesborough.   He had served in the Rugby School Rifle Volunteer Corps. 
He was discharged in July 1898 due to pressures of work.

At the outbreak of war, he immediately volunteered and was Commissioned on
the 5th September 1914.    Drafted to France on the 17th April 1915, he
went straight into the front line at St. Julian, NE of Ypres where the
Germans first used Chlorine Gas.

Hospitalised from the 3rd May to 24th May.  On return to his regiment, he
was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant.   He was then involved in
encounters at Sanctuary Wood where he was again wounded.   Still on the
Ypres Salient, in 1916, he moved into the front line at the notorious Hill
60 where he was badly wounded on the 14th after the Germans blew an
underground mine close to his position.  Sent back down to No.7 Stationary
Hospital at Boulogne, where he died

M.I. - "Sans peur. et sans requiem".

See also -

Memorials found on:
Similar Names